Friday, September 2, 2011

the time I accidentally drove to mexico

 A few weeks ago I had to go to Ontario for work.  It took about 3 minutes to figure that "Ontario, CA" was about two hours North, and thats where I was actually going.. the 3 minutes prior I thought I was going to Canada.  I have also learned that as far as Southern California is concerned, Canada doesn't exist. 


So I type the address into my handy little GPS and start on my way.  


I have learned that California will tax you on anything it possibly can.  .05 cent state tax on candy, soda, and other various unhealthy goodies... $12.50 tax on an already $40 parking ticket... and now, my new enemy, toll roads. 


So Im traveling along this road, and I come to a stop, like I was crossing some sort of border and read the overhead sign.  $3 toll. 


three dollar toll... wait. what?  What is this.. the three billy goats gruff? So I fish out my debit card. 


"Cash only". the attractive man unattractive woman tells me. 
My least favorite words. This girl does't carry cash because I don't plan on traveling to 1997 anytime soon..   "yah, sorry.. I only have a card.. can I pay online or something"  I figured if you can pay your parking tickets online, maybe you can do this too..  She let me go with a warning. phew. crisis averted. 


So I keep traveling along, get off the exit and on to a new highway.. and I see another toll sign. Awesome. This one was .50 cents.  Okay, maybe I can scrounge up half a dollar to pay the toll.. 


No, I actually didn't have .50 cents.  I searched my car, purse, cup holders, console, everything for .50 cents.  I found about .07 cents, almost .50 cents in CANADIAN money (had I been going to Ontario, Canada, I would be getting somewhere), and obviously- a $5 circus circus poker chip from Vegas. 


My turn was up.. an even more attractive man  less attractive woman than the one previoulsy encountered stuck out her hand ".50 cents please".. I told her I had about .50 cents Canadian, .07 cents US and a $5 Circus Circus chip.  Kill me, Ive already had my toll warning.. what is going to happen? 
Maybe they would make me work as a toll money taker.. maybe in a year after slaving for the California toll master, I would too look like one of these really attractive men very unfortunate looking women. 


She gave me a card to pay online.. I knew that had to have been an option. 
(FYI, there is a $5 minimum to pay online..) I wonder if I get a toll credit. 


On my way home, I had to find a way to go around these toll roads.. In hindsight (which we all know is always 20/20) I guess I could have went to an ATM.. but I found my way around these toll roads. 


Long story short, I got lost and ended up at the Mexico border. 


Moral of the story, carry the currency of your own country with you just in case. 



2 comments:

  1. Please blog more.. it makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha if I had more to write about (aka a more exciting life) I would be...

    Trust me, im working on it/crossing my fingers

    ReplyDelete